Wednesday 21 December 2011

EpicGames: Fortnite cinematic trailer

Epic Games' new cinematic trailer on the under-development new game Fortnite. A lot of people does not like the concept but I still love the fun side of zombie breakouts. Since this is a cartoon trailer there is a great space to move around the concept.




Developer: Epic Games Inc


Its style resembles to Toy Story very much. Well actually a mixture of Toy Story and Walt Disney. A very good marriage. The story is very simple: some guys go and get garbage to build a junk-bunker in a city then zombies arrive and they have to defend it against them. I love the handheld camera effect. Why would they record it? Because they gone mad? Since there is no youtube anymore... :). Anyway they blow up a big house and then they collect the... road-signs from it? :) Well, lovely madness. I am sure there are easier ways to get road-signs than blowing up a three-level building.

But they are in a rush so they do not think... at all. Again if I was building a bunker I would use something heavier than... road-signs.
Okay the way that black guy comes up from the ground is a little bit weird. I think even in a Disney animation you would have some surface scratches for such an event. So the dark smoke is, I think a little bit thin as a solution.
Anyway I love the way they rush-build that bunker. Of course electricity goes down just before the zombies appear. Well, actually I don't know what kind of creatures are they, but something similar as the ones appeared in I am Legend.
And they get the camera. And it turns out that they are mad as well.
Yeah I think I would be one of the mad guys on both sides. And most of us would be.
So this thing does not want anything else just to show us how we rush to hide from the problems. We do not think but fuss around no matter how big the problem is. I love that it is so important to make the video for them even if it takes time while they apparently in a hurry. And finally they just leave the camera outside.
And what happens when the zombies find it? They hold it and they bawl into it. Very funny. Maybe just for me.

And we clearly feel I think that it is a caricature of the daily routine aspect of living in a zombie-breakout.
The nicest thing about this video is that they just do not want to do anything more than they supposed to. They just want to make us laugh on the zombie-breakout thing and if we think deep about the metaphor we may have a good laugh on the social issue the zombie genre aims to picture. Very original concept and great fun. :).


Scores: 
Story: 10/10 (What can be funny about zombies. Here is your answer :) A world of full of idiot survivors and mad zombies hahaha!!!)
Director: 9/10( (Perfectly illustrative and modest direction.) )
Modelling: 9/10 ( Hard to take any concept on those creatures. Even in a cartoon we need to get some idea what could they be. Zombies? Aliens? That popping up thing again is shared with concept and animation. )
Animation: 9/10 (Perfect animation. Still that popping up thing...)
Render and lights: 8/10 (consistent, cartoonish render sometimes slides into ingame graphics lights and projected shadows are good but there should have been some particle systems like flying dust)
Material/textures: 5/10 (a lot of details are missing and they are definitely ingame style materials - almost complete lack of bump shaders)
Photography: 10/10 (I love that the camera is hand-held, animated perfectly)
Editing/effects: 8/10 (Edit? Well yes! I love the fast-winding of the tape. I forgot the time I have seen that thing. Good video-tapes. The video-noise is a little bit too much for me.)
Music: 8/10 (The music contributes very much to the dawn-tension like in a Dracula movie. Well not too much though but I don't miss anything it is just not a great track. The overall audio is perfect.)
Visual concept: 7/10 (I think this is great concept some details still missing though. And the zombies are too cartoonish. Even in a cartoon we need some bones and anatomy. And what is that smoke?)
____________________
Overall: 8.3

No comments:

Post a Comment